Skip to main content

Eyelid Tape

I. am. exhausted.

Even more exhausted than I was in the first few months of being pregnant with this baby. And that's saying a lot.

I come home and try to relax, but I struggle with relaxation if my house is dirty. If there's anything that needs to be done, I just have to do it. Maybe I've started to nest? I haven't always been like this...sure it has bothered me to have dirty dishes in the sink but right now, it bothers me to the point I can't resist doing them.

So, I come home after a long day at work, we decide on something to eat, and sit down for a few minutes. We've been eating in silence for this week only because the both of us are too tired to talk.

So we eat, take care of anything from the mail or bills, clean up, sweep floors if need be, do a load of laundry...and then it's bedtime. Every day, in and out. And I am crazy tired....I really don't even know what's coming, do I? If I think I'm tired now...I bet I will yearn for these days when all the chores will be there along with the needs of a brand new baby.

And I've been doing this "grown up" thing for...3 years. THREE YEARS. Not any time at all.

My parents have been working harder than I have for much much longer. Knowing how hard I've worked in the time I have and how tired I am, it makes me appreciate them all the more. Not that I didn't before, but I've really realized the love they've had for me and have for me now to have taken the time to give me a comfortable home, and make sure I was fed and clothed.

Parenting is a lifetime deal. Some see it as a "when they're 18 they're out," some even sooner than that. I can't imagine feeling that way. I call my mother every morning to say good morning and wish her a good day. Yes, I know, I'm 25 and some would probably say I am way too old to be calling on a daily basis. But she likes it, I like it, it works for us.

And that's the kind of mother I hope to be. One who is exhausted and has to tape her eyelids to keep them open sometimes, but is happy to be there for her children. (Of course there is a happy balance where Mom and Dad need time for themselves.) But what I'm saying is I want my kids to feel as loved as I do.

So, I welcome the rest of my life and the exhaustion that comes with. (Remind me of this post when I really do bust out the eyelid tape) :D

Comments

  1. You don't need eyelid tape! Mom sees through her eyelids. I always see mom watching tv or reading through her eyelids. I think that's what Mom's grow when they get to a certain point. So just be patient and maybe you'll acquire this superpower as well ;]
    -Baby

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

Rain Clouds

I really don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life, but I'm afraid I might. I'll be perfectly fine for days, maybe even weeks, and then it just seems to hit me out of nowhere. Something huge is missing from my life. I feel homesick even though I'm home. Jamey and I packed a bag tonight for when we go up to the hospital. We read through the lists of suggestions from other moms, mostly of what to bring for baby. Only because we don't know what we'll need for her. We bought two outfits for Sam, bathed him once, and he only wore one diaper. I know the hospital has most of the stuff we'll need, but I like to bring a little extra. As much fun as it is to pack a coming home outfit, it's equally sad for us. I asked Jamey if any of this made him sad and he said, "yes, it does." I don't want the happy moments in my life to be overshadowed by this sadness that we have for Sam. Although I don't ever want to forget him in any way, ...