Skip to main content

Oh Happy Day!

I absolutely love how the weather changes things. How the sunshine warms me from the inside out. It's amazing the difference from one month to the next. And although I feel like winter overstayed its welcome, it makes me all the more thankful that spring is here.

Even my doctor seemed to be in better spirits with the start of this month. She's an amazing doctor but sometimes when I share with her my complaints or worries, she gives me this look like, "Really? THAT is what you're whining about?"

But today was such a happy day. Jamey and I got off work at noon (too bad that is not an every day occurrence), and went to speak with a lawyer about creating a will for us. We want to do everything possible to make sure that our children are well taken care of should anything ever happen to us. We thought we were on top of the game and doing things right.

And we are, except that the lawyer was a little bit surprised at having people come in to make plans for their children before they are born, so he wasn't quite sure what to advise. I guess we're just too on top of things ;-)

After meeting with the lawyer, we drove up to Ann Arbor. Even though it was raining a bit...it just felt good.

I must admit. These weekly appointments get my hopes up that for one of them the doctor will say, "Oh look, she's big enough, let's induce NOW!" And I'm slightly disappointed when that doesn't happen. Slightly. Only because I know she hasn't cooked long enough, and I want this girl to be healthy!

But she did say something that put a huge smile on my face. I asked about being induced (I usually disagree with moms who just say oh I can't take it anymore please take my baby out when really it's not all that bad), and I trust my doctor to tell me when I'm just being unreasonable and I need to let nature take its course. She has always been right about those types of things. She told me I would most likely get my first period 12-16 weeks after Sam was born (which I just did not want to wait that long at all and was almost to the point of begging her to put me on something to speed things up)...and wouldn't you know, I got it 14 weeks TO THE HOUR. Then, when I didn't get another period for 5 weeks after that I was freaking out thinking that my cycles were all messed up, so I called because I wanted to be put on the pill. She told me to wait until the end of that second month and then we'd talk. I got my positive pregnancy test the NEXT DAY.

Yes, I'm impatient. I know this. And I've truly been tested. I spent all of 2012 waiting. January 16th to April 30th I spent waiting for Sam's arrival, only to meet him and say goodbye. April 30th to August I spent waiting for my first cycle. August to mid-September I waited to see if I was pregnant. September to December we waited to find out if this baby was healthy. I have not been the most graceful. But I have done it, and couldn't have faced this last year without God.

So...back to the smile on my face. My doctor told me that to be induced I have to be 39 weeks along...which puts me at the last week of May. But she admitted she did not expect me to make it that far. Although she couldn't possibly tell me with any certainty how early we'll be up at the hospital to meet our daughter, she did tell me that the best predictor of labor is previous pregnancies. Sam was born at 36 weeks. Although he was sick, she said she feels that because my body shouldn't have carried him that long anyway, it was a mixture of his illness and my body just knowing that he was ready. She said she'd be happy with anytime in May....and SO WOULD I!!!

So...although I know May isn't a guarantee, it just makes extremely excited. I feel like we've reached the home stretch, and I just can't wait until the day I get to look into the eyes of my baby girl.

Comments

  1. So exciting!!! I remember those days wanting to have my baby safe in my arms :-) Having an "end point" always helped give me something to focus on. Getting so so close now!

    KateM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sooo exciting! I journal pretty often to this baby, and pretty much every single one has "I can't wait to meet you" in it! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

Rain Clouds

I really don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life, but I'm afraid I might. I'll be perfectly fine for days, maybe even weeks, and then it just seems to hit me out of nowhere. Something huge is missing from my life. I feel homesick even though I'm home. Jamey and I packed a bag tonight for when we go up to the hospital. We read through the lists of suggestions from other moms, mostly of what to bring for baby. Only because we don't know what we'll need for her. We bought two outfits for Sam, bathed him once, and he only wore one diaper. I know the hospital has most of the stuff we'll need, but I like to bring a little extra. As much fun as it is to pack a coming home outfit, it's equally sad for us. I asked Jamey if any of this made him sad and he said, "yes, it does." I don't want the happy moments in my life to be overshadowed by this sadness that we have for Sam. Although I don't ever want to forget him in any way, ...