Skip to main content

Dust

Imagine that you're holding your baby. Gently, carefully, making sure nothing happens to him.

Imagine all the dreams you've wished for him.

Think about how dearly you love him. How your heart might explode.

Then imagine taking a polishing rag.

Dusting him off.

And setting him back on your shelf.

I think sometimes it's easy to think of our babies gone on to Heaven in the abstract. They're not really here, they weren't here that long...and they're nothing like the ones running around the house now.

Few people met them. Fewer people think of them most days.

All of that is understandable. I get it; I do. I don't fault a single person for not having my boys at the forefront of their minds (my goodness, Mira and Edward keep me busy enough that they are not always at the forefront of my own.)

But then some days, the gravity of it all hits me.

My perfect, sweet, beautiful boys.

I dust them.

I worry that when their brother and sister run around the house they might knock into their shelves and break them.

I worry that if that ever happened I might see their ashes.

I don't ever want to see their ashes.

I think about what it would be like to rock them, cradle them, caress their cheeks. Instead of holding these little boxes with hard edges holding what's left of them.

I think about how I'd rather not have memorabilia sitting next to those boxes. How I'd rather be making new memories instead of holding onto these trinkets.

I think about how this April we will be celebrating and grieving not one but two birthdays within two weeks. I think about two little boys who never got the chance to grow up.

I think about how we always wanted four babies. How we got them.

How half of them are unseen.

Because they're on my shelf.

Needing to be dusted.




Tomorrow marks one year and seven years since we got our boys' diagnosis. Missing them greatly every single day. ❤❤

Comments

  1. 2019 Hot Rainbow Baby Girl Dress
    Size: 3 month, 6 month, 12 month, 18 month, 24 month
    Fit for 1st 2nd Baby Birthday Party, Wedding and other Formal Occasions to know more follow our store at Aliexpress HAPPYPLUS Official Store

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

Rain Clouds

I really don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life, but I'm afraid I might. I'll be perfectly fine for days, maybe even weeks, and then it just seems to hit me out of nowhere. Something huge is missing from my life. I feel homesick even though I'm home. Jamey and I packed a bag tonight for when we go up to the hospital. We read through the lists of suggestions from other moms, mostly of what to bring for baby. Only because we don't know what we'll need for her. We bought two outfits for Sam, bathed him once, and he only wore one diaper. I know the hospital has most of the stuff we'll need, but I like to bring a little extra. As much fun as it is to pack a coming home outfit, it's equally sad for us. I asked Jamey if any of this made him sad and he said, "yes, it does." I don't want the happy moments in my life to be overshadowed by this sadness that we have for Sam. Although I don't ever want to forget him in any way, ...