Skip to main content

Insecurity

I'm really insecure. And I wish more people knew that about me...maybe it's already obvious? I really don't know.

As we've been reading Rick Warren's What on Earth Am I Here For? The Purpose Driven Life, I have had so many revelations about myself. It's meant to be read in 40 days, but I think this is a book that needs to be read more than once.

I've been working on myself a lot in the last couple of weeks, and have been making a sincere effort to change my attitude to be a happier person for myself and my family. But what makes me unhappy in life? I can't just put a big smile on my face and fake it. I need to know what's at the root of this negativity I hold onto so tightly...and I'm pretty sure it's insecurity.

I have this need to be liked. I want everyone to enjoy my company, think I'm funny, want to spend more time with me, think I'm smart, talented, and kind-hearted. And wouldn't ya know...not everyone thinks that about me!

What a shock it is to learn that I'm not perfect. And you know what was even more interesting to me while doing my readings this week? The only perfect individual who has walked this Earth, Jesus Christ, was not the most popular guy either. Not everyone liked Him, agreed with Him, wanted Him around.

And He was okay with that. Because He knew that it only mattered what his Father in Heaven thought. If He had tried to be perfect and please everyone...none of us would be saved today.

o_o

Wow. That was just incredible to me. Even though I already know about the life and teachings of Jesus, I had just never really thought to apply it to my life. By people-pleasing, I am forgetting about who I should be most worried about satisfying.

Not to say that I should throw caution to the wind, or take on an "I don't care what you think," attitude by any means. I should still make an effort to be the positive, encouraging, loving person that I want to be. But I should do it in the way that glorifies God, and not myself.

I pray for the wisdom to incorporate this attitude in my life, and for my daughter to see me as the genuine Christ-follower that He wants me to be.

People-pleasing is tiring, and I want to get off the hamster wheel I've been running on for so long...I want to be a Jesus-pleaser :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

Rain Clouds

I really don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life, but I'm afraid I might. I'll be perfectly fine for days, maybe even weeks, and then it just seems to hit me out of nowhere. Something huge is missing from my life. I feel homesick even though I'm home. Jamey and I packed a bag tonight for when we go up to the hospital. We read through the lists of suggestions from other moms, mostly of what to bring for baby. Only because we don't know what we'll need for her. We bought two outfits for Sam, bathed him once, and he only wore one diaper. I know the hospital has most of the stuff we'll need, but I like to bring a little extra. As much fun as it is to pack a coming home outfit, it's equally sad for us. I asked Jamey if any of this made him sad and he said, "yes, it does." I don't want the happy moments in my life to be overshadowed by this sadness that we have for Sam. Although I don't ever want to forget him in any way, ...