Skip to main content

Growing Happiness

I've had a lot to think about in the last week. After a conversation with a very good friend (and therapist), I learned a lot about myself.

Okay...I didn't truly learn anything I didn't already know (I just don't like admitting it). But what I DID learn, is that many of the behaviors I have found acceptable in the past really just aren't working for me as an adult. And really the only thing I can do to change things in my life is changing my attitude. By changing my perspective. By taking the darn log out of my eye instead of pointing out the speck in my neighbor's (which I'm just too good at).

I am easily irritated. No surprise to those who know me. I tend not to post FB status updates about all the things that bother me because honestly I don't like bringing others down...but I am guilty of letting something annoy me to the point where I can't stop thinking about it and am then grouchy for the entire day. And the only person I'm really hurting is me. And Jamey...because he has to listen to my irritability.

Can you believe I'm not quiet either? ;-) If I'm unhappy, I like it for others to know. I'm not exactly sure why, I think mostly to get someone to validate my feelings. But what am I really accomplishing when I point my finger and think, "that is just plain stupid, I would never do that, act like that, or be like that."? I'm not helping anyone at all, and am certainly not helping myself.

I have been working really  hard this week on trying to be more positive in my life. On treating others the way I want to be treated (which is really very hard when you're being mistreated!)

And you know what? It's been difficult. I wish I could say it's all butterflies and rainbows now that I see the 'other side,' but it isn't. Happiness does not come easily or naturally for me.I really have no idea why...I admire it so much in others. That's one of the things that really attracted me to Jamey when we were first together, he just always has a smile on his face.

Sometimes I just wish that I could have all fun, amazing, positive, people in my life. But none of us have that do we? So why not become one of those fun, positive people?

I wanted to be so much more eloquent in this post. About how I'm learning to grow, and what I'm working on to be a more mature, happy person. I'm just scratching the surface right now, and that's okay. Because this kind of attitude overhaul takes time.

I want my children to see me as the goofball that I am. Not the perfectionist, the 'nothing's ever good enough' person that I have turned into. I love myself, I love the person who is in here...I just don't always care for what comes out. So here's to changing my attitude to be that happy person. I'm sure I've said this before, but I'm a work in progress. God is not done with His work in me until I leave this Earth.

I'm okay with that. I like that He's still working. He's using the people with specks in their eyes to help me pull out the log in mine. I'm too often on the defense, it's time to switch to offense :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

Rain Clouds

I really don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life, but I'm afraid I might. I'll be perfectly fine for days, maybe even weeks, and then it just seems to hit me out of nowhere. Something huge is missing from my life. I feel homesick even though I'm home. Jamey and I packed a bag tonight for when we go up to the hospital. We read through the lists of suggestions from other moms, mostly of what to bring for baby. Only because we don't know what we'll need for her. We bought two outfits for Sam, bathed him once, and he only wore one diaper. I know the hospital has most of the stuff we'll need, but I like to bring a little extra. As much fun as it is to pack a coming home outfit, it's equally sad for us. I asked Jamey if any of this made him sad and he said, "yes, it does." I don't want the happy moments in my life to be overshadowed by this sadness that we have for Sam. Although I don't ever want to forget him in any way, ...