Skip to main content

Open wounds

I've started about 5 different sentences to begin this blog post. None are sufficient.

I'm tired. Mad. Frustrated. I could really (and have wanted to) punch some people right in the face. Would I ever? Have I ever? No. Would it feel good? Probably not. But you don't know until you try.

I'm so serious. Mostly I'm tired. But serious.

I've had one too many negative interactions with people in a very short period of time. Do you know what they all revolve around? Sam. I hate that. I hate that there is still so much hurt to be had, there is so much anger to be felt. Who WANTS the memory of their firstborn son surrounded by so much negative?

I talked to a woman today who I don't know. I didn't ask her any questions, but she decided she needed to ask some of me. She tried to diagnose me with a gluten allergy. Thank you ma'am, but I don't have one. Then further into the conversation asked me about my birth experience. I was being as vague as possible but when I told her I'd had an epidural, she scoffed at me and said, "Well psh...you missed all the GOOD stuff."

Yes lady, I sure did. I sure missed all the good and wonderful things there is to say about natural birth. You know what I also missed? Looking into my son's eyes, seeing him smile, watching him walk, seeing him go to kindergarten, graduate high  school, college, get married. YOU'RE DARN RIGHT I MISSED THE GOOD STUFF.

Of course, I didn't say any of that. And she's none the wiser. Be careful what you say, and how you say it. You might just be speaking to a momma who is still trying to mother a dead child. You might be speaking to a momma who hasn't been able to have any children of her own. And you might be speaking to a momma who hasn't had any negative experiences whatsoever but still has made decisions that aren't the same as yours. Whatever the case, it's none of your business.

I haven't been this irritated with others when it comes to Sam's death in a very long time. And for that I am grateful. I try to let things roll off my shoulders. But I tell you what, sometimes it just surges up. And I get mad. And it takes me just a *little* bit longer to let it go.

It's easy to have all the answers when you've never lived an experience. It's easy to tell me that had I just used this essential oil, taken this vitamin, eaten this supplement, etc etc. that things would be perfect and we'd be healthy and happy forever and ever. I find it funny when others make an attempt to educate me on genetics when that is what my degree is in. I know I certainly am not an expert...because I don't have all the answers. But it's the people who DO have all the answers who worry me way more than those who don't.

It doesn't bother me if you raise your child totally and completely differently than the way I do mine. It doesn't bother me if you handle pregnancy and childbirth completely and totally differently than the way I do mine.

What bothers me is when you tell me that I am wrong because I am doing it differently.

Please stop. Please, just stop. My life is not about YOU. Don't turn my life into your platform, whether it's for me or against me. Just don't.

And I use "you" in the generic sense of the term.

So next time you look at someone and tell them something as stupid as, "You missed out on the good stuff," or, "I just don't agree with the decisions you've made,"  while feeling better about the decisions you've made for yourself, I suggest you be quiet.

You may just be opening wounds you can't see.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

The Hardest Part

One year ago today I had my very last prenatal checkup. I saw both my maternal-fetal medicine specialist and my ob/gyn. My blood pressure was great. Gabriel was still there and moving. There was no indication that within 24 hours my liver would start to fail. I didn't know that April 13th, 2018 would be the last time I ever saw my baby on an ultrasound. It would be the last time I heard his heartbeat. I didn't know that the next morning a pain would begin. The next day I would meet my sweet little 2-month-old nephew. I wouldn't be able to eat because I just wasn't feeling well. I would stay up late with the pain, sipping water and waiting for it to pass. The next night would be spent in the ER, not knowing we would be meeting Gabriel face to face just 10 hours later. One year ago was the beginning of goodbye to this teeny boy. And I had no idea. Wednesday morning. It's time to get ready to leave. Except it's 3:00am. I keep waking up, worried tha...