Skip to main content

The Grey.


When I write, I'm very deliberate with my words. I'm painting a picture with vocabulary, invoking emotion through little squiggles on a screen. People regularly thank me for my rawness and honesty. They tell me I am strong and they are grateful for my words because in some ways they help them love others better.

My friend circle, my faith circle, they fill my bucket with words of affirmation. I will always be thankful for this safe place to share my real-time raw feelings as we go about this journey of grieving half of our children. Always thankful.

I wrote the most vulnerable piece I've ever written last Friday. 

I read many of the comments. Not all, but many. Some got pretty ugly...and I had to skim right on by. Other comments and shares, I saved. Not to be creepy, not because I know them.

But because they'd experienced healing because of my words. 

Some were forced to take a step back from the black and white that paints their worlds.

...and acknowledge the grey. 

It's a scary place, isn't it? The grey. It's a place where we're sometimes right. And sometimes very wrong. We don't like to live with the thought we could really ever be wrong.

I know that I don't. 

I do know that after Sam died, I couldn't identify with women or families who would ever choose to terminate a pregnancy for any reason whatsoever. I loathed the people who didn't take the opportunity to truly love their babies like I did. I put myself on a pedestal, mostly because others put me there first. I liked the knowledge and the feeling that I did the best thing.

The right thing.

I always said that given the chance, I would have carried Sam to term again if it meant to hold him and to know him. That if I could go back, I know what I would do. I never imagined I would be asked to do exactly that just 6 years later. It was easy for me to look back and tell the world, "Oh yes. This is what I would do again. Not even a question." 

I never anticipated those words would ever be tested. And I'd be a liar if I told you we didn't consider ending our pregnancy last year. The one question I made sure to ask with both boys was, "Is he in pain?" If doctors had ever answered yes, our decision may have been different than what ended up being.

With this law in New York, my mind keeps drifting to the parents who get caught in the middle. The parents that are quickly labeled murderers. Parents who have been in rooms anticipating to find out if they're having a boy or girl and instead learn their baby has no functional kidneys. No brain. Severe birth defects for which there is no cure. Parents who have to make end-of-life decisions before birth. They're lumped in with the group that uses abortion as a form of birth control.

But why? 

Terminology.

I looked up the definition of abortion. And I'm astonished at how it varies between the medical, legal, and lay communities. 

When certain communities define or think of abortion, they imagine a live, viable baby being ripped apart and murdered. It's an image that brings me great sadness; however, this is not the only definition out there.

Did you know that a miscarriage is (or can be) considered an abortion in medical terms? Did you know that a late-term induction can also be considered an abortion? From what I found, there are three types of abortion: spontaneous (miscarriage), therapeutic (performed to save the life of the pregnant woman), or elective (performed at the request of the woman for no medical reason). 

I also found that the definitions vary by state.

And therapeutic abortion (terminating for medical reasons) is not as uncommon as you'd think. 

When I write, I write with as much love in my heart as I can muster. I am not trying to be "right" or to win an argument here. I'm not trying to convince you to be pro-life or pro-choice. Those terms have become horribly divisive, creating an "us vs them" mentality that I never want to be part of. I avoid using words like "left" and "right," "conservative" and "liberal," because I don't identify with any of them. 

I'm not a conservative, pro-life Christian woman. 

I'm Kaila. An independent, loving, capable, intelligent person. I'm not perfect at loving others, but I do love people in the best way I can. And for me, loving others means asking more questions than releasing opinions. 

This law has made me realize that I have not asked enough questions. I have not spoken to enough mothers who have faced the same decisions that I have and made different decisions. I haven't asked lawmakers why they disagree on definitions or why they've written certain laws the way they do. I fully plan on writing to the authors of this new bill to ask why they wrote it the way they did. 

It's not up to me to assign motivation to action.

It is up to me to ask questions.

And I want to help make changes to the definition of abortion, or release the stigma that all abortion kills perfectly healthy, viable babies.

I know my heart hurts over this subject, and I am not alone in that. My grief is still very raw for my own sweet boys. When Sam died, I didn't understand and carried so much anger for women who did not carry to term.

When Gabriel died...I understood more. 

Read into this what you wish. People had no problem reading into what I didn't say last Friday. They drew conclusions about me, my family, and my faith that were pretty impressive given the tiny bit of information they had to work with. 

Or read what I am saying. That my heart grieves with every parent who loses a child. Every. Parent. That terminology needs to be changed to help define what is abortion and what is not. That all is not black in white. 

And for the many of us who have been forced to live in the grey

--I am sorry. I didn't want to be here either.

You are not alone.



Photo by darrel collins on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

Rain Clouds

I really don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life, but I'm afraid I might. I'll be perfectly fine for days, maybe even weeks, and then it just seems to hit me out of nowhere. Something huge is missing from my life. I feel homesick even though I'm home. Jamey and I packed a bag tonight for when we go up to the hospital. We read through the lists of suggestions from other moms, mostly of what to bring for baby. Only because we don't know what we'll need for her. We bought two outfits for Sam, bathed him once, and he only wore one diaper. I know the hospital has most of the stuff we'll need, but I like to bring a little extra. As much fun as it is to pack a coming home outfit, it's equally sad for us. I asked Jamey if any of this made him sad and he said, "yes, it does." I don't want the happy moments in my life to be overshadowed by this sadness that we have for Sam. Although I don't ever want to forget him in any way, ...