Skip to main content

Bad dreams.

Last night my brain must have been on overload. I don't remember my dreams very often, but I did last night. I think I had at least five different dreams, all very charged with emotion. I only remember two of them with any clarity, but one hit me very hard in particular.

Jamey and I were pregnant again. Why do our minds take these things as truth in dreams when quite obviously the opposite is true in real life? Anyway...we were pregnant. Not just newly, but 20 weeks to be exact. We were at the doctor's for that routine ultrasound, and we were so excited to find out if Mira was going to have a baby brother or sister.

The technologist put the wand on my belly and started scanning. "It's a boy!" she said. Jamey and I just looked at each other, so excited to have another baby boy. "And how does everything else look?" I asked. All of a sudden the technologist's face went ashen, as she kept moving the wand around. "Hold on," she said, "I'm having difficulty with some of the images because of low fluid level."

No. It couldn't possibly. Not again. I kept a smile as I said, "Are you sure it's not just the angle? I'm sure everything's fine." I looked at Jamey to see what he thought. He just looked back at me, shook his head, and said, "I don't think so, Kaila. I saw his kidneys. They're too big again."

I don't think I've ever cried so hard within a dream. All I remember is sobbing, "Nooo. No. No. No. No. Not again."

And then thankfully...Jamey's alarm went off. I was still half dreaming and half awake when I told Jamey about my dream and asked him to just lay with me for a little bit.

Many ask me when we're going to have more children. They ask as if it's an easy choice for us, a given that now that we have one healthy child, we surely could have more. And they could be right. I am very much looking forward to having more children...if it's in the Plans.

But it's not an easy choice, by far. I feel like our pregnancy with Mira was 9 months of holding our breaths just waiting to see what would happen. We know all too well that not all births end in bringing a baby home. And now that we've become part of the "baby loss community," we've become all too aware that what happened to us...does have the possibility of recurrence.

You don't get a free pass when you lose a baby. Or when you have a healthy one for that matter. Just because they don't have a name for what Sam had, it doesn't mean it can't happen again. And just because Mira is healthy, it doesn't mean we don't still have the possibility to lose another. Genetics just don't work that way. And although everyone runs this risk,  most don't think about it until it's happened to them. I had one doctor once tell me, "Statistics don't matter when it happens to you. Then it's 100%"

I know people who see dreams like this as ominous and foretelling. I think that's superstition, and my faith is thankfully not rooted in my subconscious fears. Jamey and I will try in the future to have more children (it's just a matter of when).

I really needed to write this out, since I just woke up and it's so fresh in my mind. I pray the day never comes that we ever have to hear those words from a doctor again. But if it does, I am thankful for God, my family, and my community who has seen us through, and would do it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfixable

I have to share some things that are going to make some people uncomfortable. I'm okay with that, but I know it's not going to be easy to read because you might want to try to fix me. You can't. You can't "fix" these feelings. You can't pray them away. You can't tell me to "just trust God" and go on with your day. Well, I guess you  can. But I can't. I am not in a good place. I am not okay. I don't even want to be okay at this point. I tell Jamey almost every night that I want to go back to the hospital. I want to lay in that bed. I want to kiss and cuddle my son. I want to stroke his cheeks. I don't care if they're cold. I don't care if he'll never open his eyes again. I just want to go back there and rock him in my arms. I took pictures of the bruises on my arms and hands from being in the hospital. There are so few memories of my son, that I didn't even want to forget that part. My blood pressure w...

Memories

I have videos of the entirety of Sam's life...so even if I forget them, I'll be able to see everything from those moments. The moments after he was born, however, are only images in my head. After Sam died and everyone had the chance to hold him, it was time to get some rest. Jamey's family went home, my sisters slept on the chair and couch in my room, and my parents went out to the car to sleep. The hotel attached to the hospital told my family they'd be charged full price for a room if they checked in at 5am but would need to check out at noon, so they opted not to get one. Jamey crawled into bed with me, Sam snuggled between us. He had been in heaven for over an hour, but to us it just seemed natural. We wanted to share one nap with our boy, before he was physically taken from us. It wasn't a peaceful sleep, of course. Hospital beds aren't made for 2 grown people. But we made it work. Phone calls were made, and we were told that the director of the Cr...

Rain Clouds

I really don't want to feel this way for the rest of my life, but I'm afraid I might. I'll be perfectly fine for days, maybe even weeks, and then it just seems to hit me out of nowhere. Something huge is missing from my life. I feel homesick even though I'm home. Jamey and I packed a bag tonight for when we go up to the hospital. We read through the lists of suggestions from other moms, mostly of what to bring for baby. Only because we don't know what we'll need for her. We bought two outfits for Sam, bathed him once, and he only wore one diaper. I know the hospital has most of the stuff we'll need, but I like to bring a little extra. As much fun as it is to pack a coming home outfit, it's equally sad for us. I asked Jamey if any of this made him sad and he said, "yes, it does." I don't want the happy moments in my life to be overshadowed by this sadness that we have for Sam. Although I don't ever want to forget him in any way, ...